To apply please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Title: Superintendent
Company: Doran Contractors Limited
Reports to: Director of Operations
Location: 3187 Albion Road, Ottawa, Ontario
Date: April 6, 2017
The Superintendent is responsible for the overall supervision of construction projects, crews and sub-contractors. They may be responsible for several sites at any given time. The performance of the duties must ensure a quality approach to all employees, customers, subcontractor, general contractors, tenants, managers and suppliers. All responsibilities must be performed in a manner consistent with the Doran Contractors vision, mission, and must comply with all company policies and procedures. The Superintendent in coordination with the Director of Operations and the Project Manager is responsible for identifying issues, designing and carrying out policies and procedures that support the projects and initiatives of the company.
• Schedule meetings with and manage subcontractors;
• Manage the construction site from the outset, including setting up site office, access, site fencing etc.;
• Assist in developing and maintaining construction, production schedule and site management plan.
• Manage site startup right through to hand over at the end of the project.
• Establish and maintain quality control measures on site;
• Participate in setting up the site safety plan with the company safety officer;
• Provide guidance on how to work in a more safe and efficient manner.
• Aid in all Safety reporting functions. Ensure the timely delivery of reports to Head Office in order to maintain all legislative requirements.
• Provide schedule updates to the Project Manager on a regular basis;
• Review and understand project drawings and specifications;
• The superintendent plans and prepares construction schedules and milestones and monitor progress against established schedules
• Assist with estimates and budget development for projects
• Ensure accurate and timely project close date; adjust working schedules to ensure deadlines are met
• Identify and resolve conflicts within project teams and associated work; create contingency plans to mitigate risk
• Ensure inspections are completed periodically throughout the construction phases to ensure buildings meet specifications of clients
• Select and coordinate subcontractors throughout all phases of projects
• Coordinates all activity between trades and suppliers
• Oversee performance of all trade contractors and review architectural and engineering drawings to ensure accuracy and regulatory abidance.
• Identifying needs for training and facilitates delivery of training.
• Recommending employee actions such as hiring, training, promotions, disciplinary and corrective measures.
• Enforce all Doran Contractor policies and procedures.
Statement of Qualifications:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Post-secondary Certificate in Civil Engineering Technologist / Formal Technical training that is relevant to the field.
• A minimum of 5 years’ work experience as a superintendent in the ICI sector.
• Prior experience with Construction Projects such as Condo Buildings, Retirement homes, Multi-Unit Apartment buildings, Retail Developments, Large Commercial Turn-key Buildings, Commercial Fit ups and other similar projects is required.
• Possess a valid driver’s license
• Ability to professionally interact with design professionals, consultants and clients throughout the project;
• Ability to read blueprints, schematics, field drawings and plans
• Strong communication, integration, problem-solving and interpersonal skills
• Ability to cope with high intensity and stressful environments.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Demonstrated success in project delivery and execution of project management methods
• Understanding fundamentals of contracts and experience in managing contractors under the terms of a contract
Physical/Sensory Effort/ Work Environment
• Loud and busy work environment
• Providing service to several people or departments, working under many simultaneous deadlines
• Standing for long periods of time.
• Difficult weather conditions, working outdoors and on site.
• Overtime as required.
Knowledge of Scheduling required
Knowledge of Microsoft Project (an asset)
LEED certification and Green Building Certificates (an asset)
Gold Seal Certification or PMP Certification is considered (an asset)
Experience Required: 5 years in construction administration
Doran Contractors is looking for an enthusiastic Project Coordinator to assists in the administration of various construction projects. General knowledge of shop drawing, RFI's changes and site instructions as they relate to a project is a requirement. Superior administration skills in microsoft office are required to maintain tracking logs for project documentation. Primary role is to assist the project manager in day to day administration of a project.
- Assist project manager in day to day activities
- Review all documentation related to changes and instructions from owner/consultants
- Track and distribute instructions and changes to trades
- Track all RFI's, changes and instructions in spreadsheet format.
- Review and track the insurance of shop drawings between trades and consultants.
- Create preliminary estimates for changes for review by PM
- Review, monitor and keep up to date official drawings
- Assist PM in the project meetings
- Work with site superintendent to provide office support.
- Post- secondary education (CET) is an asset
- a minimum of 5 years of construction experience is required.
- LEED certification & Green building certificate is an asset.
- Gold Seal Certification is an asset
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Understanding of building drawings/blueprints
- strong administrative/ organizational skills
To see more Taggart Group Career options click here.